Wednesday, December 06, 2006

With A Rebel Yell


Last week I covered "historians" setting up for a Civil War reenactment of the Battle of Prairie Grove. During that battle, over 22,000 men fought and around 2000 men died. That's a pretty big number.

This was my first Civil War reenactment and it was about what I expected. It was definitely interesting to see all the people who literally recreate that period of history, but at the same time, it's kind of weird. There are no World War II or Vietnam reenactments, why the Civil War? No other countries try to recreate their civil wars. I understand people don't want current generations to forget about their history or past culture, but isn't that what reading is for? I mean, you are not seeing any black people out at these events to make sure people don't forget about slavery. Oh wouldn't that be fun!

No comments: