Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Ring Flash/Pie Pan


I've been wanting to use a ring flash for a long time, but could never afford the roughly $1000 to buy the flash and accompanying lens. So I decided to rig one up and managed to do so for less than $3! Basically I just cut a few holes in a disposable pie pan (one for the lens and the other for my flash), set a camera up on a tripod and made adjustments until I got the effect. It's not as smooth as a "real" ring light, but I think it's pretty good for spending two bucks and some change. It does take some explaining when you break it out in front of your subject.

3 comments:

Michael said...

That looks awesome. Nicely done.

Anonymous said...

I know it has been awhile since you posted this, but could you provide a little more detail about how you made your ringlight with the pie tin?

Anonymous said...

How about providing a pics of the ringflash? I'd like to see how it turned out.