Monday, June 18, 2007

Red Soil School




This is the Red Soil School outside the village of Ngong. Before I left for this trip I was asked to get some shots of girls in a classroom, but Winrock had not set anything up in advance. I asked how to go about doing this and was told to just walk in and ask. So while my writer was conducting an interview I went to explore a school next door. And just like I was told they were all too happy to show me around and let me take photos of the kids. This was completely different than shooting at a school in Springdale, Arkansas where the teachers try to set up your shots and harp you about getting permission slips from the kids' parents. The shot of the classroom was actually during their midterm exam! I hope a white man with a camera wasn't too much of a distraction.

8 comments:

Marc F. Henning said...

Awesome stuff Neemah! My experience in the Philippines was similar. The school I visited was all too happy to let me wander around and take photos. No questions asked. You're there man, don't hold back.

Z-Man said...

Where's the nutsheller?

Anonymous said...

Just great man!

Neemah said...

Z-Man,

I haven't made it to Uganda yet, I leave tomorrow morning.

Michael said...

Excellent work. Keep it coming.

Z-Man said...

I am meeting the Ugandan ambassitor wednesday eve. I will put in a good word for you.
z

Anonymous said...

you good do working stuff pics
ryan

tearsofconfusion said...

So rich in color and culture. We it's really amazing how a still shot can portray such an amazing story.

Keep up the excellent work, it is admired and appreciated!

Reshonda
myspace.com/msscorpio76