Monday, June 25, 2007

Cape Coast






I spent yesterday and this morning in the coastal fishing village of Cape Coast in Ghana. The site where thousands of slaves were held before being shipped off to the new world. A place where oppression and division began that eventually spearheaded a Civil War. It was a bit surreal. I didn't have a specific assignment, besides a portrait session in the afternoon, so I decided to try to find some women working at cleaning or cooking fish (women do not actually fish is this part of Africa). One of our local contacts took us deep into the village where the sandy road turned into more of a footpath. We drew a lot of stares but everyone was extremely friendly. In the end I didn't get a lot of images but a couple came out nice. I shot for maybe 20 minutes and left with a feeling I could have spent a month and barely scratched the surface of their story. I hope to one day return.

5 comments:

Z-Man said...

Breat photos Neemah, I cant wait till I have one for my wall.
z

p.s.
my birthday is in october ;)

Z-Man said...

I meant great photos not breat photos!

Anonymous said...

Cool coast. Is it easy to get to and have a beachy day--I mean clean and tanable?

Marc F. Henning said...

z-man's been drinkin' on the job again. (:

more good stuff neemah!

Neemah said...

"Is it easy to get to and have a beachy day--I mean clean and tanable?"

I'm not sure if I would call it clean and laying out to tan might invite something you don't want. It's easy to get to if your are already in Ghana. If you want to lounge around on the beach I would stick with a Club Med.