Monday, December 03, 2007

Creating Mood/Combining Exposures



Nothing creates a mood like a cool-looking sky. But usually the best sky is a vastly different exposure than the ground beneath. I've tried combining photos before, but never really perfected the technique. This past Fall I wanted to show my Digital Darkroom class how to make one exposure from two in order to improve the overall tonal range of a photograph.

The above image is a combination of the three below. I used the brightest image as my primary photo. I layered the darkest image over the top and created a mask to only allow the sky to shine through. I then blended the middle photo to create the rich colors. After I had my exposure I created a Levels Adjustment Layer to correct the color cast (basically a white balance adjustment). I also used a Curves Adjustment Layer masked in certain areas to open up a few of the mid-tones. There was no need to increase the saturation or use Selective Color to pump up the reds and yellows since I already had a rich tonal range after combining the photographs. You could accomplish this same technique by shooting RAW and then processing the image twice: one overexposed and one underexposed.

The image was taken at Pinnacle Mountain State Park.


7 comments:

Z-Man said...

Nice photo but next time try Galen Rowell's Graduated Neutral Density Filters and do it in the camera.
http://www.singh-ray.com/grndgrads.html

Neemah said...

Neutral Density Filters!? Maybe if you want to spend a few hundred bucks to carry around of bunch of extra stuff that doesn't give you near the creative control.

Z-Man said...

"if you want to spend a few hundred bucks... of extra stuff..." like PhotoShop CS3 and an apple laptop!

Just give me a set of set of filters and let me go man, I dont cheat, I do all my creative work in camera, not post.

Just kidding I love Photoshop,
Besides, who in the world has a set of "Galen Rowell's Graduated Neutral Density Filters" other Galen Rowell.

Z-Man said...

Also, Check out my Incredible Pelphrey @ Z-Man.

Neemah said...

I'm not sure you can make the argument "I don't cheat because I do all my work in camera...with a set of Galen Rowell Graduated Neutral Density Filters."

Marc F. Henning said...

Neemah, don't listen to Z-Man. He's gone soft. He snaps a few picks now and then, but most of the time he spends his time in the office with his feet up referring to everyone around him as "douche bags." It only hurts the first couple of times, then you get used to it.

This is what happens when you combine becoming an "Assistant" photo editor and eating Acambaro five times a week. He's out of control I tell you.

Anonymous said...

that was uncomfortable to read.

My prof at a school in Virginia checks out your blog all the time, so I thought I'd do the same. Very nice work.