Thursday, September 14, 2006

Knock Knock


This week Springdale police, firefighters and building inspectors spent the day performing surprise inspections on run-down housing complexes in one part of the city. They were looking for housing that wasn't up to code, in an attempt to get landlords to fix the buildings. But, the part of the story that stood out to me was the humiliation of the people who lived there having city officials show up because their home was a piece of shit. While covering the event I saw a half-naked little girl amazed at the show of officers invading homes along the run down hispanic neighborhood. She then rested on the doorway after running around the parking lot amidst the excitement. While this went on I slowly walked up and squatted on the sidewalk, placing my camera on the ground (away from my eye so she wouldn't look at me) and waited until an officer was framed next door to shoot my image. Lately I've been making an effort to learn a bit of Spanish, and it paid off because I was able to get her name and age, which allowed the image to see print.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like this picture- the content is gritty and intriguing, the composition is balanced, the subjects suggest a haunting scene. It seems to have enigmatic qualities about it... inviting you to explore what is going on behind those doors.